Hardware Support: JMicron JMB363 (w/ Intel P965 Chipset)
Randall R Schulz
2006-10-15 15:08:59 UTC

I have a nice new Asus P5B mainboard (please, no chastising me for
choosing a board from a Linux-hostile vendor) that is, for the most
part, running 10.2a5 successfully. However, that's so only because I had
the brilliant, though completely serendipitous, idea to put one IDE
optical drive and one SATA optical drive in my system. Fortunately, the
SATA drive made installation possible while the JMicron-controlled
IDE/ATA bus with its lonely optical drive remains shut out.

And that is the subject my question. How do I get access to the IDE bus?

My on-line research indicates that the 2.6.18 kernel should be able to
access this device (see the very long thread in the Ubuntu bug forum at
<https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/57502>
and the Linux kernel commit log entry at
<http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=15e0c694367332d7e7114c7c73044bc5fed9ee48>).
Apparently there was a bug in an earlier kernel that rendered the
JMicron controller inaccessible when it was paired with the Intel P965
chipset (which itself includes no legacy IDE support at all, only SATA).

One thing I find odd is that this device shows up and is properly
identified in the output of "lspci -vv":

03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81e4
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size 08
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 169
Region 0: I/O ports at ac00 [size=8]
Region 1: I/O ports at a880 [size=4]
Region 2: I/O ports at a800 [size=8]
Region 3: I/O ports at a480 [size=4]
Region 4: I/O ports at a400 [size=16]
Region 5: Memory at fe1fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Expansion ROM at fe1e0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [50] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 1
Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Port 1
Link: Latency L0s <1us, L1 <16us
Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk+ ExtSynch-
Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1

Does anyone know if the JMicron JMB363 controller is actually supported
by the kernel and driver complement of 10.2a5? If so, what must I do to
render it operable?

Thanks.

Randall Schulz
Marcus Camen
2006-10-15 17:06:20 UTC
Post by Randall R Schulz
Does anyone know if the JMicron JMB363 controller is actually supported
by the kernel and driver complement of 10.2a5? If so, what must I do to
render it operable?
WFM with Asus P5B and kernel-default-2.6.18-5 (stolen a few weeks ago from
factory). I don't need any special tricks to get it running.

home ~ # dmesg |grep JM
JMB363: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:02:00.1
JMB363: chipset revision 2
JMB363: 100% native mode on irq 225

home hardware # hwinfo --cdrom
23: IDE 00.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD)
[Created at block.195]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_CIDL102690WL
Unique ID: Fffu.0fuAoGIDyX5
Parent ID: 2Oa+.7RRFzodgxD9
SysFS ID: /block/hda
SysFS BusID: 0.0
SysFS Device
Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:02:00.1/ide0/0.0
Hardware Class: cdrom
Model: "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D"
Vendor: "PIONEER"
Device: "DVD-RW DVR-106D"
Revision: "1.07"
Serial ID: "CIDL102690WL"
Driver: "PCI_IDE", "ide-cdrom", "ide-cdrom"
Device File: /dev/hda
Device
Files: /dev/hda, /dev/disk/by-id/ata-PIONEER_DVD-RW_DVR-106D_CIDL102690WL
Device Number: block 3:0
Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Size: 0 sectors a 512 bytes
Drive status: no medium
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #19 (IDE interface)
Drive Speed: 32

Marcus
Randall R Schulz
2006-10-15 17:41:34 UTC
Hi, Marcus,
Post by Marcus Camen
Post by Randall R Schulz
Does anyone know if the JMicron JMB363 controller is actually
supported by the kernel and driver complement of 10.2a5? If so,
what must I do to render it operable?
WFM with Asus P5B and kernel-default-2.6.18-5 (stolen a few weeks ago
from factory). I don't need any special tricks to get it running.
Odd. As root:

% uname -a
Linux smiley 2.6.18-9-bigsmp #1 SMP Mon Oct 2 23:27:41 UTC 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
%
% dmesg |egrep -i JM
%
% egrep -i JM /var/log/messages
%
% bzcat messages-20061015.bz2 |egrep JM
%

hwinfo --cdrom shows only my Plextor SATA drive.

Is this a regression in 2.6.18-9?
Post by Marcus Camen
--
Marcus
Randall Schulz
Marcus Camen
2006-10-15 18:09:24 UTC
Post by Randall R Schulz
Is this a regression in 2.6.18-9?
No, 2.6.18-11 does also work. I think I have enabled AHCI for the JM IDE
controller in the BIOS settings.

I use
***@home ~ $ grep ^INITRD_MODULES /etc/sysconfig/kernel
INITRD_MODULES="ahci generic fan reiserfs edd"

For the disks I'm also using AHCI mode.

Marcus
Randall R Schulz
2006-10-15 18:55:22 UTC
Marcus,
Post by Marcus Camen
Post by Randall R Schulz
Is this a regression in 2.6.18-9?
No, 2.6.18-11 does also work. I think I have enabled AHCI for the JM
IDE controller in the BIOS settings.
Hurrah! And thank you.

Actually, I thought I'd tried this already, but what I didn't realize
was that I'd changed the ICH8 SATA from IDE emulation to AHCI. I had
overlooked the JMicron setting in a separate BIOS screen. When I change
the ICH8 setting from IDE to AHCI, the system will not boot at all. I
just see the BIOS boot screen, with nothing but a flashing underscore
cursor. But if I put the ICH8 SATA setting back to IDE and change the
JMicron to AHCI, I can boot from the IDE ATAPI drive (using the SuSE
boot disc and ultimately booting the SCSI hard drive where the root
file system resides). And I can see (as in hwinfo) and access (as in
YaST Software Management, e.g.) that drive from the running system.
Post by Marcus Camen
I use
INITRD_MODULES="ahci generic fan reiserfs edd"
% grep ^INITRD_MODULES /etc/sysconfig/kernel
INITRD_MODULES="processor thermal ahci ata_piix generic mptspi fan
reiserfs edd"
Post by Marcus Camen
For the disks I'm also using AHCI mode.
Out of curiosity (only, since I've achieved what I want based on your
advice) I wonder if these hard drives are on the ICH8 SATA buses or the
JMicron SATA buses?
Post by Marcus Camen
--
Marcus
Again, thanks for the advice.

Randall Schulz
Marcus Camen
2006-10-15 19:20:22 UTC
Post by Randall R Schulz
Post by Marcus Camen
For the disks I'm also using AHCI mode.
Out of curiosity (only, since I've achieved what I want based on your
advice) I wonder if these hard drives are on the ICH8 SATA buses or the
JMicron SATA buses?
ICH8

Right now an Asus P5B mainboard (Intel P965) with default factory settings
will neither recognize any ICH8 or IDE disk or drives nor will the
network controller work with SUSE 10.2.

Of course this is not SUSEs fault but a generic issue. I'm just wondering
how many people buying this (mainstream !) Core-2-Duo hardware will run
into these problems...

--
Marcus