drop openmotif
Stephan Kulow
2012-05-10 09:52:49 UTC
Hi,

For some reason we have one non-oss package in our oss repo and this
needs to be fixed - so I would like to drop openmotif from oss and
move it (and it's dependencies).

To quote from http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html:
The Open Group Public License for Motif grants rights only to use the
software on or with operating systems that are themselves Open
Source programs. In restricting the applicability of the license to
Open Source platforms this does not meet term 8 of the Open Software
Definition (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).

Now the FAQ also claims they will make an open source release rather
soon, but that document was updated last 2004 - and I don't think we
will see a lot of new motif software in openSUSE in the future.

Right now we have this list of packages that buildrequires openmotif:

ddd
dx
libGLw
MesaGLw
mfsm
mgdiff
TeX-Guy
timidity
vtk
xawtv
xgrabsc
xibod
xmgrace
xmoontool
xpdf-poppler
yudit

7 of those are on DVD and would be removed from it - and move to non-oss
addon:

ddd
MesaGLw
TeX-Guy
timidity
xawtv
xpdf-poppler
yudit

Greetings, Stephan
--
Last week's pet, this week's special.
Ismail Dönmez
2012-05-10 11:33:29 UTC
Matwey V. Kornilov
2012-07-16 16:45:04 UTC
Hi,

Sorry my late question. What is the policy about OBS repos? Now my eso-midas
package in `science` repo is unresolvable for 12.2 and Factory. The package
really (build-)depends on openmotif.

There are three options, I suppose:

1) to disable the package for 12.2 and Factory and leave users without the
software (which is under GPL but depends on nonfree openmotif)

2) to link/agregate openmotif(-devel) to science repo (?)

3) to add path openSUSE:12.2:NonFree to meta of `science` (as far as I know we
can't add exclusive path to specific package, only to whole repo)

Anyway, what have I to do?
Stephan Kulow
2012-07-16 17:52:16 UTC
Post by Matwey V. Kornilov
Hi,
Sorry my late question. What is the policy about OBS repos? Now my eso-midas
package in `science` repo is unresolvable for 12.2 and Factory. The package
really (build-)depends on openmotif.
1) to disable the package for 12.2 and Factory and leave users without the
software (which is under GPL but depends on nonfree openmotif)
2) to link/agregate openmotif(-devel) to science repo (?)
3) to add path openSUSE:12.2:NonFree to meta of `science` (as far as I know we
can't add exclusive path to specific package, only to whole repo)
Option 3 is perfectly ok.

Greetings, Stephan
Stefan Seyfried
2012-07-16 18:12:04 UTC
One more related question:

I can't find openmotif (even though the buildservice says it built and
published) on http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/non-oss/

Is this some error? Unfortunately I need to use the citrix receiver
sometimes and this beast needs openmotif...

Cheers,
seife
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"
Stephan Kulow
2012-07-17 10:05:09 UTC
Post by Stefan Seyfried
I can't find openmotif (even though the buildservice says it built and
published) on http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/non-oss/
Is this some error? Unfortunately I need to use the citrix receiver
sometimes and this beast needs openmotif...
Interesting question, I need to dig into this.

Greetings, Stephan
Matwey V. Kornilov
2012-07-20 15:19:00 UTC
If so, Matthias could you please do that? i.e. add the path to science meta.
Post by Stephan Kulow
Post by Matwey V. Kornilov
3) to add path openSUSE:12.2:NonFree to meta of `science` (as far as I know we
can't add exclusive path to specific package, only to whole repo)
Option 3 is perfectly ok.
Greetings, Stephan
--
With best regards,